Oloika Solar Mini-Grid Project
- The project is located in the south of the country in Kenyas Rift Valley. Oloika is 10km from e4D’s other project in Shompole. Both projects are located in Kajiado country, very near to Magadi town and are currently registered as one cooperative society.
- The project is joint funded by Energy for Development (e4D), who provided the generation costs, and the Rural Electrification Authority (REA), Kenya, who provided the civil work and distribution grid
Benefits to the community
- Up to 5000 local people in the Shompole/Oloika can benefit from electrical services. The school, health center and over 50 businesses have round-the-clock stable electricity, allowing them to provide services such as food refrigeration, lighting and phone and battery charging facilities.
- Rechargeable battery packs will be sold by the Co-operative to individual households for lighting and other appliances.
- The solar plant will be operated and maintained by the local Co-operative, creating employment and providing economic revenue as well as social and humanitarian benefits to the local population.
- 13.5kWp installed PV
- 38.4kWh battery storage
- Two 5kW inverters
- Office space for cooperative
- Future proof design for incorporating national grid if it was to arrive
- The solar canopy also acts as a rain collector during the rainy season. The collected water is stored for use throughout the year. The solar canopy also provides much needed shade and a meeting space for the cooperative. The canopy design is the same as the Kitonyoni project.
Solar Plant Local Contact Details
- Ewangan Shompole Solar Cooperative Ltd, Oloika Market, Shompole East, Kajiado County, Kenya